transfer 'classic' files to 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rbj1948, Feb 18, 2010.

1. rbj1948 macrumors newbie

I have a Mac pro operating system 10.5.8 with 2 quad processors.

With 10.5.8 I cannot read any of my files from my old mac operating on system 9.?.

I just found my copy of Quark 6.0 and it actually installed on the new Mac fine, but when I tried to transfer some Quark 5.5 files to the new mac they came up greyed out and with exec as a label. I copied the file on to a memory stick.

Can I transfer these files? Any way of opening older CD of clip art on the new Mac?

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Found this on the internet (here).

"The answer is: QuarkXPress 6.52 and earlier will NOT work 100% properly with Leopard (nor does Adobe Creative Suite 2, which is of the same vintage). And unfortunately, since no recent Macs can run on earlier operating systems, you’ll need to either upgrade QuarkXPress or find a used Mac that can run 10.4 or 10.3. (I’d strongly encourage upgrading QuarkXPress!)"

3. rbj1948 thread starter macrumors newbie

transfer 'classic' files to 10.5.8

Thanks pit29 I did not think that it would be that easy. Since I bought CS4 suite I guess I will just have to give up my Quark and learn inDesign.

It still leaves me with a problem of how to access hundreds maybe thousands of files that are in the old format. I can transfer photos but much of my clip art and textures are on Cds that I can no longer open.

Thanks for your help.