transfer data between mbp's - AirDrop or Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by creativedogmedia, Mar 14, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

i have about 20gb of data that I need to move from old MBP to new rMBP. Is moving to DB and then transferring folders faster than AirDrop to AirDrop?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you have some screaming fast Internet speeds, I believe Airdrop will be much faster at around 8MBps. Make sure the machines are not on the same wifi network or it will use the router for the transfer and not the direct Airdrop connection. So just turn on the new rMBP wifi but don't join the network.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Why not just turn on File Sharing in the Sharing preferences pane, and then copy the files across the WiFi?

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

That may be my issue....I have both machines on the same wifi network....I started it earlier and it's only transferred 2gb in 2.5 hrs.

----------

Would that be as fast as AirDrop or DB?

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Would probably be the same speed actually. Fastest way would be to hook up the machines via Ethernet cable if possible!

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Connect a network cable to each of your mbp's

7. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

rMBP doesnt have network port.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Does with a dongle

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

You can also enable LAN Sync in Dropbox if both computers are on the same network. The files will still try to sync to Dropbox, but you should see faster transfer speeds.

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

In this case you might have better luck by sharing the entire HDD of the old MBP and accessing it on the new MBP in order to move files over. May take a while but may be faster than Dropbox syncing!

11. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have no personal experience with it yet, but Mavericks supports networking over Thunderbolt.

A.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I guess I'm hopelessly old-fashioned, but to me the "fastest, easiest" way to transfer 20gb of data between two MacBooks would be a USB flashdrive.

If you just have a smaller-sized one (say, 16gb or 8gb), do "multiple passes" as required.

Probably as easy as messing around with anything else!

13. Robisan macrumors 6502

Was going to suggest this too, since 20gb is a relatively small amount of data to move. Not sure it meets the OP's request for fastest in terms of transfer rate, but for only 20gb I'd go with the easiest option. The time difference is trivial.