Transfer data from 3G>3GS>4>iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sekshun8, Aug 28, 2010.

1. sekshun8 macrumors newbie

I'll try to make a long story short. I will be going from iPhone 4 to 3rd gen iPod Touch. My wife is going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. And our friend is going from iPhone 2G to iPhone 3GS. Soooo... I want to transfer all data from 2G to 3GS. 3GS to 4. And 4 to iPod Touch.

2G - 3.0.1 - JB
    3GS - 4.0 - JB
    4 - 4.0.1 - JB

I still want them all JB. And if I can have them on 4.0.1, that'll be great. Except the 2G of course. I'm assuming that one will have to be 3.1 or something.

I have read up on how to back up JB data with Tiny Umbrella and AptBackUp. But I'm still not sure how to go about these transfers. Naturally, I want all contacts and the usual iPhone stuff transferred, but I also want the JB stuff.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know where to start:)
    You got alot alot more research and learning ahead of you.
    Some of the stuff you're saying cant be done and other stuff are just wrong assumptions.
    I'll let someone else try to tackle all that.

3. sekshun8 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't mention which Touch you have. Also, where does the 3G fit into the picture, is that your friend's current phone?

Anyway, you've got two main issues here. One is keeping all devices on 4.0.1 so they can be jailbroken, and the other is "transferring" data between devices, although you don't really transfer data from one device to another, you sync the data to a computer or to the cloud, and then you sync it back to your current device.

Oh, and then there's the issue of keeping your JB "data" - which needs an entire treatise by itself.

I have to go with Applejuiced here - you need to do a lot more reading and research, at least to the point of being able to talk about all this stuff using the proper terminology and field of reference. Otherwise, it's going to take a lot of time to write out everything you need to do in order to pull off this musical iDevices swap. But who knows, maybe someone will have that kind of time on their hands. Come to think of it, maybe you should advertise on craiglist for someone to do this for you, I hear a lot of tech-savvy folks do iPhone support on the side.

5. sekshun8 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, the needed details have been added to the original post.

As for the transferring, I don't think I misspoke at all. Regardless of the method, it is still transferring. I know I cannot get a cable, connect the devices directly to each other, and "transfer" the data. I know I have to sync them and "transfer" the data through iTunes. Most of it anyway. If you want to transfer a cup from one table to another it really doesn't matter if you carry it over, throw it, use teleportation, or ask a trained monkey to do it. You're still transferring it. :D

I don't think keeping them on 4.0.1 should be so hard. I have read that people are downgrading to 4.0.1 from 4.0.2 as long as they back up certain data. I believe SHSH. And I've seen IPSWs posted all over the place for pretty much every firmware that's been released. And I distinctly remember upgrading to a firmware that was not the current one at the time, so I'm sure it's still possible. But since I excel at being wrong, that's why I'm asking to make sure.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, then assuming you have the SHSH for 4.0.1 saved for all your devices, and you know your way around syncing data through iiTunes, here's what you do.

1. Download 4.0.1 firmware for all devices.
    2. Backup all devices in iTunes.
    3. Pick one device, restore it to 4.0.1
    4. When restore is finished, iTunes asks if you want to set it up as new or restore from backup. Select the backup you want to go with that device. For example, you want to put the backup you made from your current iPhone on your iPod touch.
    5. iTunes will now sync all data back to the newly restored device.

Repeat steps 3-5 for each device. For your friend's phone, you might want to do this on his computer, which presumably holds the data for his device.

7. sekshun8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Info assimilated. Now what about the JB data?

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Do you have SHSH blobs already saved for 4.0.1 or earlier for all these devices? I don't see posted that this was already done; it needed to happen before Aug. 17th, as that was when Apple stopped signing the 4.0.1 firmware version. If those blobs are not already saved, there's no way to do so now, and you'll only be able to restore to 4.0.2 for the 3GS and the ip4.

Assuming I've missed something and that part's a yes, PkgBackup through Cydia will at least allow you to save and relatively easily redownload your JB-related apps and packages--they even have a feature that allows you to "share" that data with another user/device. Check out the dev's website for details on how it works, there's a link to it through Cydia or you can find it through Google. You would need to install it on all three devices.

However, other threads I've read as recently as today indicate this will not save any data from those apps, and that nothing else currently out there will save that type of data either. Your settings and any game data, etc. from anything that didn't come from the Apple App Store will likely be lost. A search of this forum on PkgBackup will probably find those threads. You'll also find a number of people have had issues with AptBackup, so do check those out before trying that particular app.

I'm at the limits of my knowledge now, so I'll bow out, but good luck!

9. sekshun8 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I do not have any backups of any blobs.

The Touch and 4 are not too big of a concern because the JB aren't life or death. BUT... the 3GS would be a concern because our friend is on TMobile and needs the phone unlocked.

OK, one last question. Let's say I back up the 3GS then sync it on the 4 exactly the way they are without restoring or reJBing. Will the info still transfer? Or are the restore and reJB necessary?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've never tried that, it might or might not work. I'd try it first on one of the devices that doesn't need to be unlocked, and if it works, do it with the one that needs the unlock.