transfer data from external hd onto son's macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by levgram, Aug 18, 2013.

1. levgram macrumors newbie

hi friends

my old macbook pro got coffee all over it. the store folks said the data was okay and put my hd in an enclosure. they said buy a new mac, too much damage to computer other than hd. okay. i want to be sure to get the data out of the enclosure asap in case the hard drive actually dies.

how do I download or transfer my files from my old 'coffee ruined' macbook pro onto my son's macbook pro until I buy a new one, and not erase his hard drive and files. as I said, the data is now on the enclosure they put it on.

i'm a newbie and need help.thanks so much.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

3. jsvelte macrumors newbie

Exactly what cbautis2 said.

You'll want to get the hard drive out of the coffee-ruined Mac.
    A website called iFixit has great guides on how to remove the HD.

Once you get the enclosure, you just put the HD inside and plug it in via USB. All of your files should be accessible. You can even then reformat it (once everything is backed up) and use it as a regular external HD.

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Huh, not sure why the two previous posters completely missed the multiple mentions that the HDD was already in an enclosure...

To the OP, all you have to do is plug it into the other Mac and it will show up as another drive on the desktop. What you do next really depends on how much space you need, as long as there's more free space on the Mac than on the drive in the enclosure then you could just simply create a folder on the desktop with whatever name you want, then you could drag the folders from the external drive to the folder you just created.

That's just one method you can use, there are multiple others. Ultimately, to access the drive...just plug it in.