Transfer Data from MBP to new MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Didjt, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Didjt macrumors member

Does anyone have a preferred method of transferring from 'old' to new?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I use a time machine backup and migration assistant. I don't limit this process to MBP to MBAir either, fwiw.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

I've used a TimeMachine backup from my just sold MacBook, which was on an external disk. I've selected it when starting up my new MBA 13" at the point where you are asked how to create an account. Easy and fast.

5. Didjt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, new MBA tomorrow so sale of MBP and transfer over a coffee,
    Just a little anxious!

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

7. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Erm... I can share my files wirelessly, I used migration assistance over wifi, and swap files between my 3 macs via my mba all the time. Maybe you're doing it wrong? ;)

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Wireless Migration DOES work.
    It was the only way I could use Migration Assistant from my Rev B MBA to my new MBA. I tried wired via two USB to Ethernet adaptors and an ethernet cable.. but turns out unless it is an actual port on the Mac it won't pick it up in Migration Assistant. It took all night - but wireless Migration Assistant worked for me.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

And maybe not. Maybe I followed the instructions to the letter, called AppleCare, still have no explanation and am a little pissed off. Maybe that.

Wish it did for me, then... reinstalled OSX on the Air, twice, updated both Macs to 10.6.5... nothing. Mighty frustrating after a dozen or so attempts

10. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

11. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

I normally do weekly image backups to a USB hard drive using SuperDuper. You can plug a USB drive with an image backup from another Mac and use migration assistant to transfer some or all of your stuff to your new Mac just like you would a time machine backup.

Sometimes I just transfer data and do all programs, settings, ketchains etc from scratch because stuff occasionally gets corrupted over time and it's nice to start fresh with a new machine after you've been through several full migrations over several years.

12. jawad7 macrumors member

Just seen this thread. About to invest in a MBA 13" and was planning on using Migration Assistant to transfer all over from my MBP 13" using ethernet cable. Was going to buy the add on USB to Ethernet adapter.

Anyone have any success doing this?

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Posting from my newly migrated MacBook Air :D

Turns out once I added a sharing name in the old Mac's System Preferences, the problem went away :) Took a Genius Bar trip to figure it out though, phoning didn't help!

Took three attempts - wireless failed for whatever reason, and when I first chose Ethernet, MobileMe sync interrupted the transfer, so make sure all applications and services are disabled on the old Mac before you start. Took about 7 or 8 hours to move 150GB, but third time was a charm :)

14. Didjt thread starter macrumors member

Omg!

This has been a bit of a nightmare.
    tried to use TM to transfer info to new MBA from MBP.
    Just didn't work.
    Now restoring MBA from supplied USB.
    Do I update to 10.6.5 on MBA before I restore from TM in disk utility?
    Thanks in anticipation for your assistance,
    Doug

15. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I used MA as soon as I got the MBA. You shouldn't have to update to 10.6.5 to do it. As to the TM, I don;t knpw. Can you use quicktime to screencapture when you try it, so we can see what's going on when you are trying it?

16. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

used a Time Machine backup from my MBP to MBA. Worked flawlessly

17. Didjt thread starter macrumors member

18. Appleind, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

I updated my MBP to the recent software update. Then did a final TM back up. Started my MBA for the first time (I recommend you Reinstall or Restore the OS on the MBA in case you have already opened or logged in )and then during the startup when it asks you to restore from a backup, choose Time Machine and then sit back and relax. It should automatically bring your MBA to the same as your MBP. This worked for me. I have had bad experiences using MA when i had to migrate from my white macbook to MBP

19. Didjt thread starter macrumors member

OK many thanks to my mentors,
    Last bit of niave enquiry, how do I restore/reinstall.
    Thanks again
    Doug

20. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Plonk in your restore disk, and follow the instructions. When you get to the screen that allows you to use disk utility, use that to erase the disk in its entirety. Once it is deleted, just close disk utility, and install the OS.

(Or something like that, anyway. There is a sticky at the top about reinstalling software)

21. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Pop the disk in. restart. Press C while the MBP starts. Then run Disk Utility from the Menu and erase. Use the default settings while erase. After erase the OS will automatically ask you to install on the HD you just reformatted. Then after the OSX Install is complete, you will get the welcome screen and then follow the instructions. As said before when it asks for backup from TM make sure you back up during that time. Then you should be sorted

22. Didjt thread starter macrumors member

23. tivoboy macrumors 68030

problem

I had a similar problem, using ethernet. Older MBP to new 13" MBP. Using ethernet, about 40GB of data in the ONE user account. At about 1 hour, it said network connection failed. but, it was ETHERNET. So, I clicked okay, but it just hung there for 2.5 hours at 32 minutes left. Never got any further. I had to simply unplug it, and haven't tried to start again.

What is the best process for starting this again? Is there a bunch of junk now on the new computer? Should I do a total new OS install just in case?

24. KPOM macrumors G5

I initially tried using Migration Assistant from a Time Machine backup of my old MacBook Air over Wi-Fi. After 2 hours, it barely moved and said it would take another 20 hours to move about 50GB of data. I canceled it and plugged it into my Time Capsule using the Ethernet cable. I restarted the migration and it finished in about 4 hours.

The only "glitch" is that the first migration attempt created a user name, and I had to "re-migrate" to a different user name and then delete the old one.