Transfer data from old drive to new but used MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spencerusvi, May 15, 2009.

1. spencerusvi macrumors newbie

I need a little help. I was using a Macbook running 10.4. 2 years old and the logic board died. I am now using a new MacBook 2Ghz machine running 10.5.6. I have been using this new Macbook for about a month but I have data on my old hard drive that I have just put in an external enclosure so I can copy. Here's my question......Can I merge my Mail and address files from my old computer to my current one..... and also my bookmark files in Safari and Firefox. I think i should just be able to import my old photos and songs so itunes and iphoto shouldn't be a problem

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.

1) Restart the computer.
    2) Hold the option key from when you hear the startup chime until a menu appears.
    3) Select the USB external drive and hit return.
    4) Open Safari and go to File -> Export Bookmarks. Save the resulting file to someplace you can find it, like your desktop.
    5) Open Mail and go to Mailbox -> Archive Mailbox. Again, select your desktop. A whole bunch of .mbox files should appear there.
    6) Restart again, this time selecting the other drive from the boot menu.
    7) In Safari, go to File -> Import Bookmarks and browse to find the file you saved to the external drive's desktop.
    8) In Mail, go to File -> Import Mailboxes. Select mbox files, click Continue, and browse to the external drive's desktop.

That should be all you need to do.