Transfer Data from old to new iTouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JustinG87, Aug 3, 2009.

1. JustinG87 macrumors member

JustinG87

I currently have a 2g iPod Touch and I'm looking to upgrade to the new model come September. I know that my music/apps/etc will all transfer as long as the new iTouch is tied to my account. My question is can I transfer the data as well? All my app data, such as games, notes, etc. Is there any way to transfer/restore that data to my new iTouch from the old one?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Assuming you have been syncing the original iPod touch on a regular basis you should have a backup of that device on your computer. When you connect the newer one, it'll detect that you have connected an iPod touch before and ask you if you want to set it up as new or restore from backup. If you choose to restore from backup that will populate the same playlists, apps, and other information back onto the new model. This will also populate the name of the original iPod onto the new one. You can however change the name after the restore process, as it appears in iTunes, by double-clicking on the devices' name under Devices in the iTunes sidebar.

3. JustinG87 thread starter macrumors member

JustinG87

Thanks! That means that all my application data (saved games in Rolano, for example) will be transferred over to the new iTouch?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Yes, app data is preserved in the backup though not the app itself.

5. JustinG87 thread starter macrumors member

JustinG87

Fantastic, thanks! I'd hate to lose all the data in my apps >_<