Transfer data from one windows computer to my Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Feb 3, 2008.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

My friend has a ton of video clips and pictures on his windows laptop from our vacation. My jump drive is busted and I need that data.

What are my options from connecting to his Windows XP laptop and get his data on my leopard mac?

PLEASE Tell me this is possible.

Thanks,

Josh

2. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Probably there are lots of ways, but the first thing I think of is just get both computers on the same network and drag the files across.

3. netguy macrumors newbie

Go and buy a 2GB USB memory key for $20. Always the easiest way.

4. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Im thinking of doing what the TS is doing - how can I get both computers on the same network

5. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Depends on how much data there actually is but network transfer's probably your best bet, just remember to use your ethernet for best transfer rates.

6. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

use an ipod. Biggest one you can find. I used my 30gb and transferred everything to my new mac from my old pc laptop.

7. jcs1088 macrumors regular

what i do is after both laptops are on the same network, open finder and in the menu bar open go and click on connect to sever, then either type smb://comptuer's name or click browse and hopefully it will find the othe latop.

8. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

in the case of the OP, one of the machines is a Mac running Leopard, so the easiest would be if both were at his house and both could access the internet either by cable or wireless. This would typically mean they are both on the house network and the windows machine should just show up in the sidebar of the finder on the mac under "shared machines."

If you have a router or a switch of any kind in any network environment and both machines are plugged into it, they are generally on the same subnet and thus the same network.

9. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Windows machine would have to have file sharing turned on, and you would likely need the username and password to log on.