Transfer data from Quadra 840AV to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snejsnej, Aug 29, 2007.

1. snejsnej macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got a MBP 15" 2.2Ghz notebook. My Dad has an old Mac Quadra 840AV that he would like to transfer data from. What's the best way to get his data on to my MBP?

Thanks very much,
    Jens

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What OS is the Quadra running and does it have ethernet? I think FTP would be the best way to transfer the data, as any networking protocols between the two systems might be tough to get operating correctly. I recommend using Fetch for the Quadra (versions for OS 7 and up exists). How much data are we talking about? Can't be too much I imagine.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

14 years old... Well, you have no Firewire, and no USB and no IDE drive connectors in the Quadra, so the remaining options are:

Burn CDs (if you have a CD burner in the Quadra or can beg, buy or borrow a SCSI CD burner

Hook up an Appletalk network between the two machines.

The MacBook has an autosensing Ethernet port, so a normal CAT5 cable can be used between the 2. You also may need to find an AAUI to CAT5 media adaptor for the Ethernet port, if you don't have one already.

The Quadra may need to have updated networking software (or even the System software upgraded to 8.1) in order to recognize the TCP/IP networking of the MacBook.
    Appleshare Client 3.8.3

Or FTP ^^^ yes. Any way you cut it you have a serious trip down memory lane here, to round up the hardware and software to do this.

4. snejsnej thread starter macrumors newbie

It running OS7. It's always been a stand-alone, so my Dad doesn't know if it has ethernet. I'm not sure how much data it will be, but considering the size of even the largest hard drives back in '93-'94 I don't think it'll be too much. :rolleyes:

5. snejsnej thread starter macrumors newbie

@CanadaRAM: I think the SCSI cd burner might be the easiest route... the other stuff sounds like it could turn into a production.

I can possibly get my hands on a Lacie External SCSI SANYO 12X4X32 CD-R burner... is this what you're talking about? Can it be used without upgrading the OS?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Probably - but you're going to need a compatible version of Toast to go along with it. There should have been Toast bundled with the LaCie. Originally. Last century. ;)

7. snejsnej thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks. About the bundled piece of smoking Toast... does it have to be a particular version, or will the latest be able to get the data off the Quadra?

I'm guessing that I'll be able to download it if it's not available with the hardware.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

All the other solutions posted are better than this one, but if you can't get the others to work, this is also an alternative. If you can get the old mac online then you'd be able to send the data through the net. The amount of data is probably so small that even a dial up connection would only take at most a day or two to upload.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

By FTP I mean over a LAN and not to any server or anything. I believe this idea to be a very fast solution, and fairly easy. It will not require the Quadra be on the Internet but rather just connected via ethernet to a router.

11. snejsnej thread starter macrumors newbie

>>It should have ethernet on it, although you might need the Cat-5 dongle to get it connected.

By 'dongle', do you mean the AAUI-15 to CAT5 adapter?

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes.

13. snejsnej thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, we'll see what happens! Thanks to all of you for your help.
    Jens