Transfer data from Touch to Iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric Isaacson, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I have an Ipod Touch 1g and I'm getting ready to buy a 3g Iphone next week when my current cell contract expires. Is it possible to transfer data from my Touch to an Iphone? I do regular backups but can I do a "restore" of the phone to get the data on the Iphone?

I did a search but I didn't have any luck, sorry if this has been covered in the past.

Eric

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Just sync your iPod Touch so you have the current data on your computer then plug in and sync your new iPhone. Be sure to check the iPhone's settings in iTunes to make sure you are syncing everything you want.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1648

3. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for that info but I'm still a little confused. When I set-up the new Iphone and I first plug it into Itunes do I set up as "new" or " restore from Back-up"?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Eric

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Do restore from back up.

Actually, I just did that last night with 2 iPhones. I had to exchange my iPhone for one without a light leak, so before I went to the store I synced up my old iPhone. Then, when I came home I plugged in the new iPhone, filled out the registration and then restored from the old iPhone backup.

It should work the same for most data. Some settings may not carry over.