Transfer data to old MBP before service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pamies, May 21, 2012.

1. pamies macrumors newbie

I'm taking my MBP (15" mid-2010, 10.7.4) in to a local service provider for repairs under warranty, and I'm wanting to transfer the system over to my old MBP beforehand, so I still have a machine to use while the repairs are underway (apparently up to 2 weeks).

The old machine is an early 2008 15" MBP. I was simply going to put the old machine into target-disk mode and use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer everything across. Is this the best move? Is there anything I need to be aware of before I try this? Will it even work?

Also, I have a few bits of software like Adobe CS6 Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office installed. Is it usual for those applications to transfer seamlessly, or are they usually locked to the specific hardware in such a way that I'll need to deactivate on my current machine and reactivate once the data transfer is done?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you use Carbon Copy Cloner, you should be fine with all the things you mentioned. At most you might have to reactivate the CS6 software, but with the way that's handled now I'd be surprised if you had issues.

jW

3. pamies thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks JW. Will give it a go this evening.