Transfer entire iTunes library including playlists

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by koesherbacon, May 4, 2014.

1. koesherbacon macrumors member

My wife just bought me a new computer and I'd like to know how to go about transferring my entire iTunes library from my old computer to my new one, as well as all my various playlists.

I've already read this article, but it does not mention if my playlists will be copied to the new computer after putting all my music onto an external HDD.

By following those steps will my playlists be tranfered as well? If not, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks a lot!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

it is very easy : just copy the iTunes folder from your old machine to the new one.

The default location for the iTunes folder is : ~/Music

Warning though : where is stored your music : on the computer, or on an external HD ?

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You could also just run the Migration Assistant and move all your stuff to the new computer. If you have a time machine backup of the old computer, just plug the drive into the new computer and run Migration Assistant, it should be in the utilities folder inside the Applications folder.

After it runs your new Mac will be setup the same as your old one, right down to the arrangement of icons on the desktop. Or maybe you don't want to transfer everything?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why would you copy the data twice using an external disk? I assume the two computers are near each other and you could us a network connection and simply drag the iTune library over.

If not that, then copy from the Time Machine disk, (plug the TM drive into the new computer and again drag the iTunes folder.