Transfer entire iTunes library

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asvpchen, May 6, 2012.

1. asvpchen macrumors newbie

I've been wanting to wipe my Macbook Pro and get a fresh start, and one of the things that have been holding me back is my music.

I have around 3500 songs and playlists that I want to also transfer to the new "computer" I guess. I just want to wipe my entire computer, load up Lion and then import my iTunes library that I have right now.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Back up your entire iTunes folder (contains all your music, settings, etc.) located in your Music folder. Transfer the entire folder to your newly formatted Mac (same location... the Music folder).

3. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Yep as the previous poster said, just copy your iTunes folder over and everything will be just as it was.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

This should be done before running iTunes on the "new" computer, right?

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yes... but if the OP opens iTunes first... then he'll just have to replace the iTunes folder with his back up.

6. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong but I don't think it matters? But there's no reason to open iTunes before copying the folder over so yeah, copy the folder first then open iTunes.

7. asvpchen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for the replies.

Since my "new" mac is just my old mac with nothing but OS lion on, I can just copy my iTunes music folder to an external and then just copy paste it on to my new system right?

And all of the play counts, playlists and so forth will remain the same?

8. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Yep it all stays the same and everything will be there. I just transferred all of my iTunes stuff to my new Mac from my old HP laptop.

9. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Yes.
    This method also works cross-platform between Macs and PCs, regardless of whether or not iTunes has already been opened after a fresh install.

10. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

If it doesn't find your new library on first opening (or do this anyway), hold down the alt key as you open iTunes and it will give you the opportunity to select your newly moved library.

11. Otumelty macrumors member

Sorry to jump onto this thread but would that work if you were running iTunes from an external hard drive?

12. Mike Boreham, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Yes!

You only have to do this first time you open iTunes. After selecting the library at the new location it will remember and always open it.

13. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Yup I can confirm this - I copied my iTunes library to a new location, held down Option / Alt on starting iTunes & selected the new location. Now it uses that as the default until I hold down Option on iTunes-startup again.

This allows me to have 2 iTunes libraries;
    -One with a little music that's actually held on the laptop for when I'm out & about
    -The main one with all my music held on my home network

14. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Good to know, thanks