Transfer files between two macs through Thunderbolt cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zirosky, Oct 4, 2013.

1. zirosky macrumors regular

Hello,

As mentioned on the title, I'm looking for a software that allow me to transfer files between two macs through a Thunderbolt cable but not using target disk mode, I would like that both macs were on and I would see the desktop etc so I can see all the files/folders I have to copy... Please help me!

thank you!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you can connect the two and they'll make a network connection between them. You could do this with FireWire, not sure about Thunderbolt.

3. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

I've two macbook air (2012 and 2013) so no FW just thunderbolt :rolleyes:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Connect them with Thunderbolt. That's the context of my second post.

5. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but when I connects nothing happen...

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Have you enabled file sharing?
    System Preferences > Sharing, tick File Sharing

Only need to do that on one machine, then on the other you will be able to see the files on the first by opening up Finder and selecting the computer in the Shared section.

Though I've only done this with Firewire it should work the same with Thunderbolt.

7. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

it seems not working :(

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't work. TB does not support a networked connection like that. You will need to use target disk mode.

9. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

oh what shame....!!! So there is no app to do that or tricks?!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... not that I have been able to find. I am with you that is makes no sense for this not to work, but it doesn't.

11. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Thunderbolt Bridge is offered by 10.9, which should be released shortly. Until then, you will have to use target disk mode.

12. zirosky, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

So with Mavericks I can just connect them with the cable and all will be automatic? Or i still have to do that: System Preferences > Sharing, tick File Sharing ???

13. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Thunderbolt Bridge is just like Firewire Bridge; it simply allows you to set up an IP network between thunderbolt connected devices. You will still have to do some basic configuring and enable file sharing.

14. zirosky, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of configuring? Do you have a tutorial please? thank you

15. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If it acts anything like plugging a firewire cable into both machines or an ethernet cable then all you have to do is enable file sharing.

You shouldn't need to configure the network connections.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will be nice feature. I had not seen Apple or anybody else mention this as a 10.9 feature, so thanks for the info. :)

All I could find was this. A Google search for Thunderbolt bridge in Mavericks comes up pretty thin.

17. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen that too

18. chown33 macrumors 604

Why do you have to use Thunderbolt?

Are one or both Macs incapable of gigabit ethernet? For example, are one or both of them MacBook Airs?

Because you could have used a gigabit ethernet cable, turned on File Sharing, and completed the transfer by now.

To see the screen of one Mac on the other, turn on Screen Sharing.

19. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

Yes as said before they are both MBA :(

20. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

How big are the files you need to transfer?

If the two machines are on the same network (WiFi) you can just enable sharing on one and browse the files from the other right now, without any extra hardware.
    This of-course wont be as fast compared with connecting them via ThunderBolt/Firewire 800/ethernet but maybe it will be ok if the files you need to transfer aren't very large.

21. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

I explain you: I bought a new Macbook Air and I don't want to backup from TM, I want to do a clear install and then manually dopy all the files I need from the old MBA to the new... So I have small and big files since my hard disk is 80% full!

22. Golem, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Golem macrumors 6502

Not having much luck with this.

I have 2 27'inch Imacs Last year and this year.

I have a Thunderbolt cable between them. From something it said on Ars technics I tried 1st port cable 1st port and 2nd port cable 2nd port.

Both are running Mavericks.

Apple own support document says only use Target disk mode for mountain Lion or older and as far as I can tell I can't put a 10.9 computer into target disk mode.

On the source mac I have entered a name under file sharing, I have turned on file and screen sharing but that made no difference and nothing else seems relevant

Under network I can click + and I have 4 choices that might be relevant
    Thunderbolt 1, Does nothing
    Thunderbolt 2, Does nothing
    Thunderbolt bridge I get a not connected, sometimes I have managed to get another screen that shown thunderbolt 1 service inactive, thunderbolt 1 service inactive.
    The other choice says ethernet?? Doubt its relevant

On the target mac I have only gone into the I want to transfer files from another mac, I don't seem to have any network options and it endlessly spins.

Wifi will work but on a recent laptop it took 42 hours to do it and these have more data. The support document from apple just says select the source at this point. The only relevant post on apple support forums says use target disk mode which I don't have.

Edit Oops just found out my brand new computer (brought today) is 10.8.4 oops.

Edit 2 Updating to mavericks sort of fixed it, As far as I can tell the machines wont't see each other unless Wi-FI isi on, I then turned wi-fi off and did the clone but I suspect it used wi-fi in the end even with it turned off trom the desktop.

23. Bobcou macrumors newbie

Transferring Files between Old and New

I have a similar problem and was wondering if I can connect my older G5 (which supports firewire 400) to my 2009 iMac (which has a firewire 800 input) with a cable that has the 400 on one end and the 800 on the other?