Transfer files between user accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macman1111, Jan 13, 2017.

1. macman1111 macrumors newbie

I have had to create use account on my mack for domain access at my business.
    when I try to move files or folders from the old account the the new account i am required to reset the permissions at the file level.
    I have both use accounts set with admin privileges
    I have tried use the shared folder, doesn't work
    I have set permission on the old user account to read-write but that does not update the files...
    Any ideas??

Thanks

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Use the shared folder in the users folder. You will need to reset permissions once to allow read-write, but should be good otherwise!

If that doesn't work - check the permissions and repair them.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

You could compress the files in the original account, then uncompress them in the target account.

The files in the compressed zip file will contain the owner id and permissions of the original. However, the decompressed files will be owned by whoever decompresses them, because ownership is not a restorable attribute (unless you're acting as root). This is a simplified description, omitting some detail.

If you have lots of back-and-forth movement of files between accounts, you can use a USB stick, SD card, or any removable media, even a disk-image file. Files written to the media will typically be owned by whatever user account inserted the media. So copy the files to the media, eject it, change accounts, insert media, copy files from media. Or just keep them on the removable media all the time.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

There's always a file syncing service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box to name a few.