Transfer files from iPad to iPhone via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tlbwriter, May 19, 2017.

1. tlbwriter macrumors regular

I need to be able to create a text document on my iPad and transfer it to my iPhone without wifi. Is there any way to do this using Bluetooth? I found a reference to an app called File Manager that apparently had this function at one point, but now it seems to require cloud or email access. Any ideas?

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Should be file transfer apps using Bluetooth in your App Store,search for "file transfer"

3. tlbwriter thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing with enough good reviews to really sell it. I was hoping for some actual personal experience from users.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I used something called photo transfer,works well with Bluetooth or wifi.
    Of course,I mostly transfer pictures this way. For more useful file transfer,I move files to a sandisk iXpand drive,with the free companion app,all my idevices and (withouth app) any Mac or pc can read the same files,as the iXpand has both lightning and USB connection.

5. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Is there a particular reason why AirDrop doesn't work for you? You need wifi to be on, but it doesn't need to be connected to a network - in fact one device can be on a wifi network and the other not and it will still work.

6. tlbwriter, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

tlbwriter thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 3rd gen iPad, and AirDrop is only available on gen 4 or later.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    I was hoping to do this without buying another gadget, but that looks like a useful little thing to have on hand, assuming it works for iPad > iPhone.

and... turns out my iPad is too old for that one, too. :(

7. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I have an iPad Air 2,I use airdrop for files and photo transfer for pictures.

8. tlbwriter thread starter macrumors regular

And I could do that too, if I had an iPad Air. But I don't. I have a 3rd gen regular iPad, which, as I said, does not support AirDrop.

9. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Then try photo transfer. There was an app called bump,that worked in my first gen iPad and my iPhone 3G,check if that app is still available in your App Store.

10. tlbwriter thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, Bump is no longer available. There are plenty of photo transfer apps out there, but I'm having a hard time finding something that I can use to transfer text files.

11. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Bad luck,when i Transfer text files,airdrop,Dropbox or iCloud works for me,but if it sometimes is troubles with those,I use an iXpand drive.