transfer files from old mini to new mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hil1002, Dec 30, 2011.

1. hil1002 macrumors newbie

I currently have a Mac mini 10.4.11, 1.5 GHz Power PC G4. I got a new mini for Christmas. My first issue is that I couldn't connect it to my current monitor, but I have a small tv I can use for a monitor. Now I'm trying to get all the equiptment I need in order to transfer all my files (which I don't have alot) from my old mini to my new mini. What is the best way to do this? Through a firewire cable? I know the old mini has a firewire 400 port and the new one is firewire 800, but then I read that there are different pins (3,6,9?). So I'm not sure what I need and the best way to transfer my music, photos and documents. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

You might be able to transfer the files wirelessly. Since you have two separate monitors, you can certainly attempt this.

Go to Migration Assistant on the new Mini and choose the third option under migration "to Another Mac". You will have to click Connect, I think, on both computers in order to complete the link...and make sure both computers are NOT set to sleep during the transfer.

Apple has detailed instructions HERE: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

There is a FW adaptor/cable you can buy, but it shouldn't be necessary if the above works.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need 6 pin 9 pin firewire cable
    6 pin (firewire 400)
    9 pin (firewire 800)

1) Turn old mini off, with wired keyboard, press T when you turn old mini on.

2) In a few seconds, you should see an icon jumping around the screen, attach firewire cable to both computers

3) Start migration