Transfer files off dead computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 56johnl, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 56johnl macrumors newbie

I am are considering getting an iMac and I wanted to know if I got apple care could they transfer files off my dead hp desktop (motherboard’s fried). would they be willing to take the hard drive out and put it in another machine to transfer the files?

Thanks
    John

:apple:

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

Buy appropriate enclosure. Insert hard drive. Drag and drop.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

This would be good if you want to do it yourself. Also, after you transfer the files, you can use the old hard drive in the new external drive enclosure to back up your files.

5. 56johnl thread starter macrumors newbie

is it easy to put the hard drive in the imac and can you put in more than one?:confused:

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

No, it's not easy. you have to get suction cups and remove the glass and other stuff. You can't put in more than one hard drive in an iMac. However, if there is space, you could toss the optical drive and put in a 2.5" IDE drive (you would have to get an adapter).

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the HDD isn't dead you can just put the drive in an enclosure and remove the files.

If the drive is dead you will need a data recovery service.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

eh

Not really, but be sure you take out enough stuff from the iMac circuit board so the extra hard drive will fit. If you have extra screws, pay no mind, as they probably weren't needed anyway.

9. epiphany macrumors regular

You understand that you don't put the old HD into the new iMac, right. They're telling you to put the HP HD into a seperate external hard drive enclosure. You can buy an appropriately sized one here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...cm_mmc_o=7BBTkwCjC-p8ByplCjCabTwyKbywgfCjCmH4 , for instance, with proper data and power connections. Like soderbrain said, then you'll have an extra hd backup when you're done transferring.

However, it might be simpler for you to just have a service do it. Applecare won't cover it, because you're having them open up the pc laptop, extract the hd, connect it, etc.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

NO.....don't even think about putting this hard drive into an imac......the following post is really good advice for you;

if you're not a tech oriented person, take it to a repair shop and have them do it!

11. 56johnl thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your help! doesnt look like I will be taking apart my imac:D
    so it sounds like I should just get an encloser and transfer the files?:apple: