Transfer files (PC to Mac) through wireless network?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dloreski, Apr 28, 2010.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Hi everyone.
    I have my PC files backed up wo a Western Digital Passport HD. I believe I read somewhere that the format is different and can't be used to upload my files to a new Mac.
    Isn't there a way to just access them through my home wireless network and put them on the Mac HD that way?
    - Dave

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do you need to access the files wirelessly, or do you want to use the hard drive normally? (both are possible)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just use NTFS-3G on Mac and it can read and write NTFS format

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X can read NTFS formatted volumes, and can read and write to FAT32 formatted volumes.

NTFS and FAT32 are the names of the file systems Windows uses for its HDD formats, so you can connect any Windows formatted HDD to the Mac and at least read the contents.

Btw, NTFS-3G is only needed if one wants to write to NTFS formatted volumes.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Drives_and_Filesystems

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

NTFS-3G will do it for free too, there evidently two versions of it, one commercial and one is free.

Btw, MacFuse had to use the NTFS-3G drivers in past times.

[​IMG]

What the frell?

Where is stridemat's post? It was just here after mine?

Now I have my first double post, how nice, and really not how I imagined it, with music and candles and a raw fish strung around my neck. Bloody forums software.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You two it had it sorted - I would have just confused the OP more. I thought it would be easier for them in the long run using the links already posted, but you managed to quote me before it went.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ahh, so you deleted your post or how did it vanish? That's really strange, but at least it was some kind of surprise.

OP: As you might have gathered from the past posts, you don't need to transfer your files wirelessly, just connect the HDD to you Mac and copy the data you want. If you can't write new files to it, then it obviously uses NTFS as a file system, for which you can use the NTFS-3G drivers linked to in Hellhammer's post.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I am sure you will be banned now, permanently :D

Anyway, OS X can READ NTFS fine? So in OP's case he can just plug it in and start copying as no writing is needed?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I've my finger's crosses about the banning. I'm spamming like a wild goose on her flight to the nearest barber, if you don't know what I mean.

And yes, Mac OS X can read NTFS formatted volumes without any third-party software. NTFS-3G is just there to give Mac OS X write abilities with NTFS.