Transfer Firefox bookmars from PC to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darold, May 10, 2007.

1. Darold macrumors newbie

I am trying to copy my old firefox bokmarks from my PC to my new MacBook. I was able to get a copy of the file over to the mac without too much problem. However, I can't seem to get it to actually function in firefox. How do I set this?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. geekytrent macrumors newbie

go to manage bookmarks, import, select the file and it SHOULD import all your bookmarks correctly into firefox for mac.

3. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

in your firefox app, go to: bookmarks -> organize bookmarks

then.. when the new window opens the menu is going to change..
    while having focus on that window.. go to: File -> import

and import from file.. use the file you got from your pc

4. Darold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. I did this, but short of importing one bookmarked page at a time, there doesn't seem to be a way to import an entire organized folder. Using the shift key to highlight all the links and subfolders, clicking open doesn't seem to do anything. Will I just have to start over and reorganize this list?

5. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I dont know how you got your bookmarks from your pc. But, if you still have access.. go to your pc almost the same thing.
    in your pc's firefox.. go to bookmarks -> organize bookmarks
    in the new window, go to File -> export

that should save a file named "bookmarks.html" or what ever name you gave it.. Use that file to import it in your mac. Should import all your bookmarks at once.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh well, goto your pc,

copy file c:\documents and settings\ur username\application data\mozilla\fiefox\avxgxasdas.default\bookmarks.html

[if you are using windows vista, then the file is located at Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\nvhfdvbd.default\bookmarks.html]

goto your mac, paste this file to
    ~\library\application support\firefox\axbvhasgvxas.default\bookmarks.html

7. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I use a PC at work, and a mac at home. I also have another PC on my network at home that I use occasionally. Google Browser Sync comes in very handy. It syncs your bookmarks between multiple computers. Can also sync passwords, cookies, history, etc :D

8. Darold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the responses. By exporting the folder on the PC instead of trying to copy it directly I got it to work. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

9. skwij macrumors 6502

You can also migrate all settings, themes, extensions, etc over by copying/pasting the PROFILE folder from the PC to the Mac.

If all you're wanting is the bookmarks, and you want to use both machines in the future, there's a great extension called Foxmarks that will do that for you automatically whenever you open Firefox, on any machine that foxmarks is installed on :D