iPad Transfer from 16GB iPad to 64GB iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MoodyM, Dec 16, 2012.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

My Dad has a 16GB iPad 2 (iOS 5.1.1), with loads of apps and music, which was held in his iTunes library on his iMac.

He recently sold his iMac, and has just bought a new 64GB iPad 2 to replace his 16GB.

Is there an easy way for me to transfer all his stuff from his old iPad to his new one, bearing in mind he no longer has an iTunes library (we could use my MBP if need be, but his old library from his iMac is obviously gone)

2. TC03 macrumors 65816

Music can be synced only one way, so if your library is gone, you're out of luck. Everything else should be backed up in iCloud, check the settings to see whether it's enabled.

Why didn't your dad back up his library? That seems pretty foolish.

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Back it up to where? He doesn't own a computer, and according to Apple the computer is now "just another device"...

4. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Shouldn't he iCloud backup and restore work?

I moved from one ipad to another this way and it was perfect.

R

5. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

If his music was bought through iTunes he can just download it again. Same with apps. If he had iTunes Match then it'll all be there just enable iTunes Match in the new iPad. Same if he gets a new PC or Mac.

6. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I have a plan - since I have a 320GB USB drive with their iMac Time Machine backup, I'm gonna create a new folder called "Mum" inside User > Music on my own Mac Mini and restore her iTunes folder from the backup to it. I'll do the same for Dad, then I can just gonna open iTunes on my Mac Mini whilst holding Alt/Option and choose whichever library I want, and sync their iPads that way?

7. TC03 macrumors 65816

According to Apple, the computer is a central and essential hub within a home.

8. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Really? I think if you watch Steve jobs iOS 5 keynote you'll find different...

9. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

There is 3rd party software that you can purchase to get all the music, video and podcast off an iPad. Short of that you should have purchased iTunes Match for cloud storage or had the library backed up elsewhere. He could have copied his library to a CD or DVD. Many options.

Steve Jobs said lots of stupid crap in his time, he is deceased now!