Transfer from 3GS to 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by phatjoe88, Jun 18, 2010.

1. phatjoe88 macrumors member

I currently have a jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.3 which I plan to upgrade to an iPhone 4 on 6/24 and I'm curious about the process of transferring all my info from the old phone to the new phone while keeping the jailbreak. Does it make the most sense to jailbreak my 3GS when the jailbreak for ios4 comes out for PC after it's released next week and then just connect the iPhone 4 and everything will work? Or will I have to do a separate jailbreak on the new phone, then re-download my JB apps from Cydia and Rock? I have SHSH's on file with Cydia, but how will it know my device if I upgrade? Any insight would be appreciated. I just want this upgrade to go as smooth as possible.

Thanks

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You cannot do this. You have to jb your new phone and reinstall your jb apps. Cydia and Rock know you by the email address you used to buy apps, AFAIK.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

AptBackup. It doesn't back up your apps per se, but a list instead. When you jailbreak your new device, you run again and select Restore and it will go out and redownload your apps. I've used it several times, works great. :)

4. phatjoe88 thread starter macrumors member

OK. Makes sense. Got it.

Follow up question. I downloaded/installed AptBackup which in theory has backed up my apps while I'm on 3.1.3. Will I have to upgrade and JB to iOS4 on my 3GS before I connect my new phone to itunes?

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Bytethese, does PkgBackup do the same thing as AptBackup? I've got PkgBackup on my 3GS, but I've yet to actually use it to restore apps after a restore of the phone.

I guess what I'm asking is, do PkgBackup and AptBackup work the same way? Is there a difference?