Transfer from Mac to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QSpec, Aug 9, 2011.

1. QSpec macrumors newbie

This is an odd question, and I am sure you all are used to answering it in reverse. That said, I am having a hell of a time getting my information off my MBP to my PC since the MBP crashed out on me.

I took my MBP apart and have the HDD. I have it set up via a SATA to USB rig. The rig and HDD are good. When I use it on my girlfriend's computer I am able to see everything I want to grab.

However, when I use it with my PC it doesn't show up. I am able to see it when I go to Disk Manager but all of my options are grayed out. I think it may be due to an odd format on the Mac HDD.

Thanks in advance.

2. QSpec thread starter macrumors newbie

I did find some software. It costs around $50. If this is the only way, I will end up having to buy it.

Is there a free way that I am not thinking of?

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Connect your disk, and another disc to your gf's computer, and then do a direct copy from one disk to the other.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Natively, Windows does not recognize HFS+ formatted drives (the standard Mac format). You can use MacDrive, which I'd guess is what you found, or you can transfer to another external hard drive which is formatted as FAT32 via your girlfriend's computer. You can determine which is the cheaper/easier option for you.

jW

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Windows won't recognize the format of the drive since it was used with a Mac. You will either need to buy MacDrive or another external hard drive that you would format using windows and then transfer everything from the MBPs old HD to the windows formatted external HD.

Note: If you choose to use another external HD, and want to format it as NTFS, you are going to need ntfs-3g to write to it on the mac.