Transfer from Macbook Pro 2013 to new Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by techno-Zen, Apr 28, 2015.

1. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

What adapter/cabling will I need to do a migration? Previously I did this via Thunderbolt or Firewire and Target disk mode.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

2. tecnho macrumors 6502

It seems that depending on the amount of data to be moved, this can be accomplished via WiFi.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Unfortunately target disk mode is not possible between the MacBook Pro and the new MacBook. With a special USB-C data sync cable it will be possible between two MacBooks, though (good to know for the future).

What I did was clone my hard drive to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, and then plug that into the MacBook using a USB-C to USB-A adapter (the one Apple sells for $19, and others sell for a little less) and then I ran Migration Assistant. You can also use Migration Assistant over a wifi network but if you have a lot of data it can take a few hours, so I'd run this overnight.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Do you have a TimeMachine backup?
    The easiest way is to hook the backup drive to the new machine and import using Migration Assistant.

If you don't have a backup drive, then this is an excellent opportunity to go and get one.

5. lo100469 macrumors member

Apparently the USB-C cable supplied does not support target mode with migration assistant when used with a USB adaptor, so the following options remain:
    - wifi migration: slow.
    - migration with ethernet connection (will require the necessary adaptors to connect the 2 macs together)
    - restore from a USB time machine backup, using one of the dongles (make sur you fully charge first in case you use the simple USB one).

I will use the latest as it will be the easiest and fastest way.

6. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i got stucked like many people during migration stage.

Thank god Command+Q worked for me, or else i'd flip!

7. Maclee2010 macrumors member

I used migration assistant to move 100GB with a USB A-C adapter. Worked just fine. I have since switched over to Time Capsule for wireless backups. So, short answer, if your data is less than 200GB, you can probably due it with one full 100% charge, otherwise you will have to get creative.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just having to jump through hoops to do something so simple as migration would set alarms off . . . Do I really want this new MB?

9. KPOM macrumors G5

The easiest way is just over a Wi-Fi network. It's simple, but also the slowest. The early MacBook Airs didn't have target disk mode, either, so it's no different from them. They actually didn't get it until 2011.

10. lo100469 macrumors member

Is plugging an usb time machine backup that complicated?
    Or just using wifi?
    And it is a one off, not something you do everyday.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Wow, the MB comes with a TimeMachine!

I agree it would not be hard but it is the first time one has had to be concerned about it. Just one USB port would have been nice, but then the MB would have to have been a tenth of an inch thicker!

12. jjfcpa macrumors member

I purchased the optional USB-C to USB-A cable from Apple and then attached an external hard drive. I had previously copied the necessary files from my MBP 15" using a program called Beyond Compare from Scooter Software.

I continue to use Beyond Compare to sync the contents of my external hard drive to my Macbook / MBP so that it is relatively easy to switch from one to the other.

Beyond Compare has been a staple in our business for many years and as bar none the best syncing software we have ever found. Cross platform.

We are a software developer and we have lots of files that change and being able to sync folders is a must have. Beyond Compare does it best!

13. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I've tried Migration Assistant several times w/o success. My issue is it never finishes. It goes to "1 minute remaining" and never finishes.

I started Migration Assistant Tuesday evening around 11pm. I checked it at 5am and it stated "1 minute remaining". I went about my day and checked again around 2pm and still reading "1 minute remaining".

I decided to be patient and wait it out. I left it all night again and when I got up this morning it was till stating "1 minute remaining". Over 24 hours at "1 minute remaining" and over 36 hours in Migration Assistant.

Help. Not sure what to do now. Not sure why it's not finishing.

14. Dayv macrumors 6502

If you have a lot of data, migration is actually one of the most resource-intensive tasks you'll do.

----------

I had problems with this, too. My Time Machine backup was corrupted (interestingly, from about the time I installed the Yosemite beta), and a computer-to-computer migration would not complete. In the end, I did a bunch of cleanup on my old computer, moved my documents to Dropbox, and set up the MB as a new computer, syncing my documents through Dropbox and my photos through iCloud. That just left my iTunes library. I deleted all the movies (I either don't care or can redownload them), and then transferred the music through a shared drive on the network. If I'd had iTunes Match turned on, I probably could have done everything through cloud services.

15. rawars macrumors newbie

Is there a preference for migrating from an external drive clone versus an external drive Time Machine backup? Would the preference, if any, be affected by migrating from Snow Leopard to the new MB?