Transfer from shattered Mac to new Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IowaTrades, Oct 2, 2013.

1. IowaTrades macrumors newbie

My wife stepped on and broke our mbp. I just got a new iPhone, and a used but new to me mba, and I'm wondering how do I safely transfer contents through my phone including 90% of the music that wasn't downloaded through iTunes, and none of which is stored in the cloud.

Any other tips for getting out new computer setup like the old one?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Take the hard drive out of the old computer, place it in an external enclosure, then use migration assistant to move all your stuff over to the MBA. If the hard drive is trashed, I hope you have a backup.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

This. If you have a backup on an external drive or Time Capsule/Airport Extreme, you can choose the option to restore a Time Machine backup in the setup menu when you start the new machine. This is what I plan on doing when I get my new rMBP since my mid-2009 HDD probably has some corruption, and I know the SATA cable is burned out.

If you don't have a backup you'll have to do what glennthompson suggested. There is no way to move music files from an iPhone to a computer.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use Senuti to pull the music off your iPhone.

How old is the broken MBP and does it have Thunderbolt? If it does you can buy a Thunderbolt cable and boot the broken machine into target disk mode and access the data. Assuming here the smushed MBP will still boot.

5. IowaTrades thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for these suggestions.

The broken MBP does turn on, but again with no screen working now I can't easily make a transfer. My concern is mainly will I lose all of my music off my phone until I get the hard drive removed and music transferred?

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Connect it to an external monitor and proceed from there. You can transfer the music and then make a new backup/clone of the internal drive. If you don't have a monitor, a HDTV will work.