Transfer HD from '08 MBP to '11 MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlaqkAudio, Mar 5, 2011.

1. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I have an early '08 MBP (the one right before Apple switched to unibody) and I upgraded the hard drive to a WD Scorpio Black. I might be upgrading to a '11 MBP but I wanted to keep my current hard drive (it should perform better than the stock one in the '11). I was wondering what would be the easiest way to transfer the HD. I thought of two ways:

1. Swap the hard drive directly. Problem with this method is that it most likely will result in having unnecessary files (old drivers for '08 MBP, etc) and I would have to find a way to install drivers for the '11 MBP ahead of time.

2. Use Migration Assistant to transfer files to new hard drive, wipe old hard drive and reinstall 10.6, then use Migration Assistant to transfer files back. Guaranteed to work, but it would take a long time.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

If you have an external USB caddy/dock for hard drives then I would...

Use migration assistant to get your old files/configs onto your new Mac, then clone the new drive (using carbon copy cloner, superduper etc) to your old drive. Then put the old drive into your new Mac.

3. BlaqkAudio thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good solution, I'm surprised I didn't think of this. Thanks!