Transfer iMessages from iPad to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by thommo14, Feb 8, 2019.

1. thommo14 macrumors newbie

G'day!

I went and stupidly deleted a whole thread on my iPhone. It was full of rather important messages that I need to reference from time to time.

Not using iCloud to sync messages, I still have the thread available on my iPad. I am at some point wanting to use iCloud to sync messages, but that can wait for another day.

Is there a way I can get the messages on the iPad transferred to the iPhone? I've done a search for such a situation, but I'm mostly getting software recommendations.

All advice greatly appreciated!

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

No built in way to do this, unless you had a previous backup and you restore the phone.

If the messages are that important you should spend the 5 minutes and take screenshots or copy them to Notes. It is only a matter of time until they are also accidentally deleted or a glitch takes them out.

3. Minorite macrumors regular

Minorite

I don't remember that there was a way except iCloud sync to restore only one thread, regardless of software. Some claim they can 'undelete' messages though.

I think you should just make a backup of you iPad to make sure that messages are saved and just sync with iCloud.

Alternatively, if you don't mind paid apps you can get iMazing and save this thread as PDF, then upload it to Files app or any reader on your phone. Also browsing backups is free so you can keep the backup of your iPad (save it to safe location so it won't get overwritten!) and just read this thread within the app.

4. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Switching Messages in iCloud on should combine your iPhone and iPad messages. As suggested, backup first and if it doesn't work you could restore.

5. thommo14 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be incredibly handy if iCloud combined messages from both devices! Got to give that a try.

Thanks all for your input.

6. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Screen record the important conversation first in case, then turn on iCloud Messages on the iPad first, so that the messages will beam up to iCloud. Delete the conversation on your iPhone, then turn on iCloud Messages on the iPhone. It should then sync over the conversation from your iPad, thereby "restoring" it.