Transfer Information to New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomegun, Apr 16, 2011.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I have a unibody Macbook and I'm going to get a Macbook Pro soon - within two weeks. Can I use something like Super Duper with an external drive to move my information to my new Macbook or is there a way to move my itunes library, iPhoto library, files, etc.? I have mobileme so I'm not really concerned about contacts, but I am concerned about some other things.

I plan on selling my current system to my nephew's fiance so I'm not going to totally wipe my current system. My plan is to create her an account and delete my account.

What is the easiest way to do this?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

No. You cannot use CCC or SuperDuper unless you plan on installing the custom build over the system copied to the new machine.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Power Up w/ Firewire.. maybe CCC or Time Machine..

About 2 years ago I upgraded my MBP.. I think in the NEW manual it will describe 'transferring over' info by connecting the TWO machines with a Firewire Cable and simply turning on and following instructions..

It took ALL my App's/ Passwords and Preferences over quite seamlessly in a couple of hours.. I think you may also be able to use CCC or Timemachine possibly, but cannot say for sure.. Good Luck!! :apple:

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

or you could partition the external and create a copy to that partition.

anyway, i think the best thing to do is create a backup folder on the external and copy what you'll need to it. Then when you have the new computer just copy everything back

5. SilverOnemi macrumors member

won't cloning your os into the new machine create driver conflicts?

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ive never had a problem with drivers after cloning.

7. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Is it possible to take my old hard drive and throw it into a new macbook pro?

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

sure as long as they are the same form factor

9. SilverOnemi macrumors member

thanks for clearing it up

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That does not mean there are never problems. And believe me, in this case there will be. The kexts needed for these machines are not in the vanilla 10.6.6 or 10.6.7

The drive may go in, but it will not be bootable.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

do you know what CCC is? cause you are claiming an awful lot about it which just isnt true. CCC makes an EXACT copy of one's HDD. I did this procedure last week. i had my old MBP's hard drive, used CCC to make an exact copy of it to the new one and it booted up just perfectly, drivers and everything.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Do I know what CCC is? Please. Take a step back. I am not making any claims about CCC or any other tool that does a block level copy. I am making claims about the nature of OS X itself.

So what you are saying is that you had some old MacBook Pro. Did a block restorewith CCC to a new 2011 MacBook Pro and it booted just fine?

If so, that is nothing short of a miracle because it is Impossible (sort of).

Give me the exact breakdown of what you did, you may meet the sort of condition.

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

take a step back? im sorry your highness. didnt mean to insult your knowledge of CCC!

this is what happened. i had a mid 2009 MBP. I used CCC to copy the HDD onto an external HDD. Then used CCC to copy that off the external onto the new one. and it worked.

i have since wiped it clean and started over. maybe we're talking about two different procedures i dont kno but, i dont really like you and im done talking about this cause this useless argument of us going back and forth saying "it works" and "no it doesnt" isnt helping the OP's situation.

To the OP: in my opinion the easiest way to make sure you get the data you want is to back it up to an external then copy the files over.

14. calderone, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You are being far too ambiguous.

The real question is, did you erase the volume on the new machine. If you didn't, this would explain your success. But let me break it down.

Take old drive and put in new MBP:
    Will not work without installing the custom build over it.

Copy from one drive to the new blank (erased) drive:
    Will not work without installing the custom build over it.

Copy from one drive to the new drive without erasing:
    In theory this should work as the necessary kexts would stay in place (unless you check the "Delete items that don't exist on the source" option)

I don't really care if you like me, however, I will not let people spread false information. The topic at hand has many complexities and your luck thus far is not the end all be all. There are strict guidelines to follow when moving an OS between machines that have hardware differences (when the OS is not unified, which 10.6.7 is not.)

To add, this information is helpful to the OP as they could likely make a mistake based on your false information.

References:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1159

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

didn't erase it so maybe that was it

and good for you

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Ding ding ding! You got it!

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21