Transfer iphone data to new computer....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zipper1022, Apr 24, 2010.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

I have looked around online a bunch, even went to the apple store for answers on this, and still nothing.

I had a MBP, its dead, i got a new one, its awesome. but now i want to sync my iphone with this new computer, I plug the phone in, it all works and everything, but if i click "sync" on any of the check boxes in say, music. apps. rungtones. etc it says it will delete the data on my phone and replace it with the data on that itunes.

Is there a way for me to jsut transfer all my **** off the iphone so it syncs with that? this is getting really annoying.

The guy in the genius bar told me to backup my phone, then restore it using itunes and that iTunes would then allow me ot sync everyhting without first deleting all the information, tried that, and it didnt work, itunes just said the same message about deleteing all my applications and data and blah blah blah.

what do i do!

no i dont have the library from the old computer to use as a reference to copy files from.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The Genius really gave you crap information. Read the above post or look at some of my and others posts on how to do this. Expod is what you want.

3. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have all the apps on my computer, maybe i should delete all the apps and try again...

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Huh?

5. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

I was unclear with that last post, lets try again.

I transfered all my stuff form the old computer and i guess it also transfered the apps i had downloaded form my itunes folder on the old machine, maybe i should delete those apps, and let itunes pull them off my iphone so that they will contain the data.

I feel like there is an easier way to do this, people get new computers all the time, why cant i simply re-sync!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're talking about retaining app data, the backup is the only thing that keeps data, settings and game saves.

7. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

okay, i think thats why the genius told me to backup my phone to the new computer, then restore it using the new computer.

i did that, it restored all my apps, and data from them, but i cant check off the
    "sync application" box in itunes without it warning me that doing so will delete all my apps and data from my phone.

8. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

I have now tried eveything short of downloading a program to do it for me, Im still unclear on what i should use.

I recently found that i DID backup my entire itunes folder from my old machine, so i deleted the current one on my computer, and replaced it with the OLD one, then opened it, did authorize computer, then plugged in my phone and still, it didnt do ****.

So annoying!!!