Transfer iPhone to another AT&T Subscriber?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmpage2, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My wife wanted to get me an iPhone 16GB for our anniversary last month but I told her that I was going to hold out for a 32GB version.

Now that it looks as though we probably won't see a 32GB this year here's what I'm wondering.

Can I get a 16GB version iPhone on my service (my contract is up) and then when the next/new version of the iPhone comes out my wife gets that one (she's up for a renewal) and we just swap hardware?

Is that do-able?

2. Xtgirl macrumors regular

Yeah that should work fine.....you get the 32gb and she uses your 16gb...it will work fine....you could just swap sim cards in the phone....or you could actually call AT+T and have them change IMEI's on your account to make it more official, but that won't really matter much....

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

yes, i swap between a 2g and 3g iPhone a couple times a month along with a Nokia 6800 and a Razr v3 and a Palm Treo 650 and a samsung sync :D
    The poor sim card gets tired of swapping around
    I must drive the AT&T system nuts :p

4. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Ah, ok, I didn't realize that the iPhone would work like any other SIM based phone. I thought there was some magic involved and you couldn't just swap the SIM card around.

No unlocking/jailbreaking/etc is needed for this then assuming both phones have iPhone plans and what not?

Thanks.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Correct. You should be good to go. No "magic" is needed in your case since you have two legit iPhones.