Transfer iPhoto/iTunes to new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Superjanne, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Superjanne macrumors member

Superjanne

Hello!

the new MBP coming to me soon and i dont want to clone them, just trasfer iphoto, itunes.

how do i do that. i have firewirecabel...

last time i did from iBook to this macbook , they become alike. i dont want that if its a little messie in this with folders/names and stuff.

Love from Norway! :)

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

boot the macbook into target disk mode by holding "t" on startup. Then plug it in to the new MBP. THe MacBook will appears as a HD icon on the dektop. Just move whatever files you want over.

Alternatively, the first time you start up the MBP, it's going to ask you if you want to transfer a user account from another Mac, you can do what I said above, and migrate your current account to the new MBP, retaining all your files and settings exactly, including your images/mp3 (if they are in your home folder)

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

If all you want to copy is iPhoto and iTunes it's easy. Hook up your old drive somehow (target disk mode or via HDD enclosure) and open and close iPhoto and iTunes once on the new computer. Now just copy your iPhoto library to your pictures folder overwriting the current iPhoto folder (or the library file if you're using iPhoto from iLife 08). For music just copy the entire iTunes Music Folder to the new machine and overwrite the current folder. Done.