Transfer iPhoto library to external hdd or nas

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bourbon, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Bourbon macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm in need of some help with managing iphoto library.

Currently I'm using iphone, ipad and a canon slr with Sd card to take photos. All of my apple products upload through iCloud and the canon photos are uploaded via Sd slot of my Mac mini . I have recently purchased a nas drive and was trying to get the iphoto library onto the nas. I'm now realising that the nas drive should be formatted to a mac format. My question, is there an easy way to get this library onto a nas that is already formatted for windows and secondly, can the photos that were uploaded to my Mac mini be transfered back in their original format in order for me to load them onto the nas via a windows PC ? I've tried drag and drop on some random photos in my library to get them back on a card but it only works if the card is in mac format. .???

Thanks in advance.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Take a look at this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/save-s...ng-iphoto-itunes-aperture-libraries-remotely/

But I wouldn't store photo libraries on a NAS...it's gonna be very slow especially if it's wifi. Most folks use a referenced photo soluton, via Aperture, Lightroom, or such and store the library/catalog on a faster external or internal drive, and only the referenced photos on the NAS.

If your SD card is FAT32 you should be able to write to it from a Mac; the file size must be less than 4GB though. You have to be more specific about the formats, though; there are several Mac and PC formats. There can also be permissions issues. Whether just formatting the drive in HFS+ will be the solution may depend on your NAS software.

3. Bourbon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I will try following the instructions.

I did try dragging and dropping some pics in the library to a FAT32 formatted external drive but it just would not transfer. I will also check the permissions.