Transfer iTunes from an iBook w/ 10.4 to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OldManJimbo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Does anyone have ideas on how to get my wife's iTunes files from her G4 iBook running 10.4 to her new iPad? We're not in the market for a new laptop and don't want/need to install 10.6 on the iBook.

Can I export the iTunes library to DropBox or some other cloud and then bring them into the iPad?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to do it without upgrading the iBook to 10.5, 10.6 is intel only so it wouldn't work.
    The only other way would be to borrow a computer with 10.5 or better and copy the iTunes library there and sync.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Mrkramer - we do have two other 10.6 macs in the house.
    How do I go about doing what you suggest?

Is there a way to do that without interfering with the iTunes files already on the newer machines?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's bee a while since I've done this, but copy your iTunes folder to an external drive. Once it's on the external drive plug it in to your 10.6 mac, start iTunes while holding down the option key, it should tell you that iTunes needs a library to start, press the select iTunes library button and navigate to the copy of your library on the external drive and select it.

Once you've done that iTunes will load your library and any changes will only affect the library on your external drive. When you are done syncing your iPad, just quit iTunes and next time either start it up with out the external drive attached or while holding down option and select your original library.

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Went to the Genius Bar - thankful that I have an Apple Store not 20 minutes away. here's what they told me --

1) Set up a 2nd profile on a MacBook running Snow Leopard.
    2) Copy iTunes folders from older iBook onto an external drive.
    3) Open iTunes on MacBook in the new profile
    4) Tell iTunes to look for the iTunes folder on the external drive - import.
    5) Sync iPad to the MB under the new profile
    6) Log out of new profile - finished.

Actually quite easy - had a bit of a jam with iTunes files on the iBook. They'd been shuffled into some "previous library" folders and these needed to be cleaned up. Once they were - it was a piece of cake.