Transfer Itunes from Case Sensitive to Journaled

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tyndale13, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

What a nightmare! My entire I-tunes library is kept on an external HD that is formatted as MAC OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled). I formatted this external over a year ago when I moved to Mac per the genius's recommendation at the Apple Bar. Today, I had the sneaking suspicion that it was time to migrate to a new External HD as mine has some wear on it and I kept getting weird error messages during the transfer of the I-tunes library (meaning it just stops and give me a very windowesque error message). What I have been able to tell is that MAC OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled) will not correctly transfer to regular old MAC OS (Journaled). Am I stuck in "Case-Sensitive" land forever with my I-tunes Library?????? Apple Care offered no advice except to point out the problem. I can format the new drive as Case-sensitive but then it appears that I'll be stuck with doing the same thing when I get another External HD in the future. Please help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about cloning your old external iTunes HDD to the new external iTunes HDD?

You can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper for doing that.

They shouldn't have a problem with the different file system formats.

You can at least give it a try, as the software I mentioned is free.

3. Tyndale13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

I'll look into it and keep you posted; BTW, what format (would the clone be in? OS Extended Journaled..etc...?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have to format the external drive first with Disk Utility.

It's best to use HFS+ Extended (not journaled).