Transfer itunes - HD??

surajnangia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Hi

I recently bought a new ext hard drive. I wanted to back up my whole of itunes as i have enogh space. how do i do it cause when i select all songs in itunes and press export it does not tranfer songs..

thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is iTunes set to manage your song files (Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences)? If so, head to your where you keep your music files (by default it'll be a folder named iTunes in the Music folder) and copy that to the external. Make sure to coy across the two library data files too. In other words, by default you just need to copy across a folder named iTunes from the Music folder. :)

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
surajnangia said:
I recently bought a new ext hard drive. I wanted to back up my whole of itunes as i have enogh space. how do i do it cause when i select all songs in itunes and press export it does not tranfer songs..
Windows or Mac?

Are you letting iTunes manage your library?

If so you just need to determine where your library lives on the internal drive Typically ~/Music on a Mac or %userprofile%\My Music\iTunes on Windows. and then drag that folder over to the external...

EDIT: beat by the mad one.

B

surajnangia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
The other thing is
the location where my music is storedis by artist names....

I want to tranfer songs with album names..

So is there a way

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
simply drag over the file itunes music located in users>%username%>music>itunes>itunes music and put it into your ext HD where ever you want it to be stored in the file structure of the ext HD.

Then go into itunes, don't play any songs or it will go crazy, and go into preferences and press advanced in the menu. Then under the general menu, press change and locate the file on the ext HD where you are now storing your music.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
surajnangia said:
I want to tranfer songs with album names..
The album names are stored in the files and in the library database and will be preserved. iTunes just uses an Artist/Album/Song style for storing the files on the hard disc.

B