Transfer Iweb site, to a "normal" website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by catlover76, Apr 2, 2009.

1. catlover76 macrumors newbie

I think I posted in the wrong spot initially and this is the spot I should be.

thanks for all you smarter than me who view this post.
    I have a website designed in Iweb and hosted with mobileme.
    I want to take the "code" of the iweb website and host it on a normal linux server, make a new CMS for it, and have it be a php website.

Is there a way to take the files from Iweb, take the code etc. and make the layout/look of my pages the same without having to write everything over from scratch?

Any help is appreciated, let me know if there is any clarification needed.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

From what I've dealt with for iWeb, it would take pretty much the same amount of time to transition an iWeb site into a "normal" site as it would to just start from scratch. It would also partly depend on your knowledge of HTML and CSS. iWeb sites just use so much absolute positioning and inline CSS that you end up rewriting most of the code.

That's just my opinion. I haven't gone through the process, only looked at the code and thought about it.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I concur. In troubleshooting alot of iWeb coding issues (caused by iWeb and viewing iWeb source added by users) the problem is exactly as angelwatt described. Another problem is you might run into is compressed Javascript which means it's not readable to resolve issues since all the newlines and formatted has been removed to conserve space. You'll know of course when you see the code, but honestly, it's not always 1-2-3 piece of cake.

-jim

4. TomKim macrumors newbie

Have you tried Plyxim.com's Easy iWeb Publisher?

Go to http://www.plyxim.com/free/ and check out their free utility, Easy iWeb Publisher 5.0. It has allowed me to painlessly transfer my iWeb site to my own server space. I'm not sure how it would work with a Linux server, but I wouldn't think it would make a difference...

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think you missed what the OP wants. He's moving away from iWeb, not trying to use iWeb on a different server. iWeb already does that anyways, no extra program is needed.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you are looking for a blogging platform and end up going with Wordpress, I can attest that it takes an utter novice about 2 hours to create a viable wordpress theme with no knowledge of php. You can make it look probably almost exactly like your iWeb site with knowledge of CSS.