All iPads Transfer iWork to wife's iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gmaster, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Gmaster macrumors member

I've ordered an iPad Air, so it will allow me to get the iLife iOS apps for free.
    I also got a new iPhone in September, so I already have the iLife iOS apps.

However, my wife got an iPad 4 in July and would now like to have Numbers and Pages on her iPad.

I would like to use the Air to get her those apps for free (I know some of you are thinking man up and pay Apple for them, but I'm thinking maybe not as I have purchased 3 new iOS devices in the last 5 months and we are all in the same house).
    If I choose the 'free' way would it work like this: 1) Turn on the new Air and set it up with her account. 2) Get iWork apps for free. 3) Sync Pages and Numbers to her iPad 4. 4) Hook the Air to my iMac and re-set it to my account.

Thanks for any input you have. With enough negative feedback, I will purchase Numbers and Pages, but I think I have a small case for now.

2. iCarabma macrumors 6502

You are making this too difficult. After you get you air set up, download the apps on your Air. Then go to the App Store on her iPad, log her out and log yourself in. Download the apps for free. Log her back in.

All done.

3. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

^^This. I did this on my wife's mini. Note that she won't be able to backup that app I don't think under her account in iTunes. It'll skip any apps that are from your account.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Which is exactly why I'd rather go with the slightly more complex method. A little more difficulty at first, but then the apps are tagged as "bought" in her iTunes store account and available from that point forward on any of her iDevices.

5. bflowers macrumors 6502a

try it and let us know how it works. I simplify the whole thing. I use the same account for all iOS devices in my house. The main difference between devices is that I simply have different email and iCloud accounts set up on each.

6. fallenapple99 macrumors member

This is easy as sharing songs. It helps if you both have your own pc that you sync your apple device too. If so simply copy the app from your iTunes folder to her iTunes folder and have her add it to her library in iTunes. You an do this via drag and drop or using a usb drive, whatever is easiest. If you have never shared any thing before it will prompt for your un/pw to authorize this pc. Go ahead and do it and that's it. My wife and I do this all the time and it works flawlessly.