Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
What method is the most efficient? Can I use a USB (pc) to Firewire 800 (mac) cable to connect my two computers for the transfer? Or is there a more effiecient way to do so? I am planning on transferring a lot of big files later on so the fastest method would be best.

Thanks for your input and patience with a mac newbie =)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
wickedG35 said:
What method is the most efficient? Can I use a USB (pc) to Firewire 800 (mac) cable to connect my two computers for the transfer? Or is there a more effiecient way to do so? I am planning on transferring a lot of big files later on so the fastest method would be best.

Thanks for your input and patience with a mac newbie =)
I would say the easiest/cheapest solution would be to use an ethernet cable, to link the two together, you would need to get a crossover cable, it won't be that quick but it'll be easy to set up and get the job done.

unless the PC happens to have a Firewire port, in which case the fastest method is to use the firewire cable to create a network between the two.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Eraserhead said:
I would say the easiest/cheapest solution would be to use an ethernet cable, to link the two together, you would need to get a crossover cable, it won't be that quick but it'll be easy to set up and get the job done.

unless the PC happens to have a Firewire port, in which case the fastest method is to use the firewire cable to create a network between the two.

What about over the air? I can transfer files back and forth through my network, however I wish it was faster.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
wickedG35 said:
What about over the air? I can transfer files back and forth through my network, however I wish it was faster.
Wireless is painfully slow for transferring large amounts of data.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Unless you have the time. Like if you want to set it to transfer and then, say, go out and catch a movie or something. Then why spend more to do the same thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.