Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I;m new to having a MacPro laptop so not sure how this works. I have a Samsung S5 android phone. I want to copy my music from the phone to my MacPro. Basically so i have it in case phone or SD card in the phone take a crap, and also just so I can have my music on my computer as well. What is the easiest way to do this???

Does it have to be in iTunes to be played and saved?

Say a month from now, i have 20 more songs new on my phone and i want to add those to existing music I had already saved a month earlier, will it copy all the music again or will it just copy my new music over?? i dont want to copy duplicates of same songs on the Mac..

also, if i move them onto my Mac, that music will stay on my SD card on my phone as well, correct??

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
If the music is on the card and not in some proprietary format it's as simple as connecting the SD card with an adapter and then doing the usual drag n' drop.

iTunes is what most people using macs use to listen to music, but I think there's a mac version of Winamp if you don't want to use iTunes with the slightly library management.

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
question

if i do the sd card thing, how do i put music into itunes? does itunes have an import option? or do i just drag files into there? can you explain the process please?

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Question?

I have all my music files on my phone on my SD card. I am going to put them all into a "music" folder on the SD card since now they are just scattered around on my sd card with photos,videos , and various other files..

Can i justy plug phone into Mac, drag that music folder onto my Mac desktop.?

Then should I drag that folder in "my documents" and into the "music" folder on the Mac as the whole folder? or does each song need to be dropped in there ?

then i would scan with itunes and it will pick up all my music out of that folder??

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have all my music files on my phone on my SD card. I am going to put them all into a "music" folder on the SD card since now they are just scattered around on my sd card with photos,videos , and various other files..

Can i justy plug phone into Mac, drag that music folder onto my Mac desktop.?

Then should I drag that folder in "my documents" and into the "music" folder on the Mac as the whole folder? or does each song need to be dropped in there ?

then i would scan with itunes and it will pick up all my music out of that folder??

Get them into into one folder, open iTunes and choose "Add to Library" from the File menu, in the file window navigate to the folder with your music then select all and hit enter....iTunes will then add all the music files into its library.

An alternative wold be to move the files into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder in the iTunes media folder - bet you can guess what that does ;-)

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Thanks man!!!

Thanks
get them into into one folder, open itunes and choose "add to library" from the file menu, in the file window navigate to the folder with your music then select all and hit enter....itunes will then add all the music files into its library.

An alternative wold be to move the files into the "automatically add to itunes" folder in the itunes media folder - bet you can guess what that does ;-)

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
half my music files are filed as .m4a files which itunes does not play.. wtf? i hear you lose quality if you convert them to .mp3 ??:mad:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
half my music files are filed as .m4a files which itunes does not play.. wtf? i hear you lose quality if you convert them to .mp3 ??:mad:

Google indicates that m4a = AAC which is playable by iTunes unless the content is digitally locked....Apple support lists .m4a as a protected AAC format

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
?

I have not transferred them over to my Mac yet, but I read on Apples website that iTunes does not playback .m4a files ? how do i know if they are protected or lossless?? the files just say.mp3 or .m4a..

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
?

Anyone??

i have not transferred them over to my mac yet, but i read on apples website that itunes does not playback .m4a files ? How do i know if they are protected or lossless?? The files just say.mp3 or .m4a..

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Copy one file. Import it into iTunes, see if it will play, listen and decide if acceptable.....

You really don't have to wait for the internet to tell you everything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.