Transfer No Longer Avail Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ikasama, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ikasama macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to transfer apps that are no longer available in the iTunes App store to a new iPhone. If I can't, this may put off getting a new phone for a while.

Thanks!

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If they are saved on your computer, yes you can upload them to the next phone you purchase. If not, they I don't think you can download them again.

3. ikasama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. As in backed up in iTunes? Has anyone done this with an App no longer available?

Thanks!

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If it is in iTunes, then it is most likely saved on the computer under iTunes Media Folder. As long as you have a copy of the app, it can always be added to any device you own in the future.

5. Agent-P, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Use the "Transfer Purchases" in iTunes option to copy your apps to your computer. All that does is literally transfer the app files from your iPhone to your computer (I used an iPod for my screenshots, but the steps will be the same with the iPhone). I've done this to keep apps like FireFox Home even after they were pulled from the app store. When you plug in the new iPhone to iTunes, you can check mark the apps you want to sync over (including the ones no longer in the store) since they're saved locally on your computer.

I didn't know which computer OS you used, so I posted screenshots for OSX and Win8. In Windows, you'll have to enable the menu bar first to get the correct options (you can hide it again afterward). Also, ignore the song playing and the concert countdown in the Windows screenshots. I had to use my girlfriend's laptop to show the steps on Windows.

Attached Files: