Transfer numbers fom sim card to 3G now!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carlitol, Jul 4, 2008.

1. carlitol macrumors member

carlitol

While I was visiting the AT&T store today a sales rep informed me that the 3G will be able to transfer phone numbers from the sim card. She mentioned that the old iphone would not do that. Great News!!!!:)

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

doubt its true - unless that new contacts app can do it

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

It can. There is a thread on here of all these screenshots of the new software. It's in the 'Settings' menu.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As said above, it is true. In contacts settings there's a button to import SIM contacts.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

My contacts are always stored in my Address Book. I don't trust SIM cards. They can go at anytime. I've had to replace too many for customers over the years.

7. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Also I read if you use the sim to transfer your numbers ony 1 of the numbers will be transferd to the sim.... I.E. if you have your girlfriends numbers stored on your phone and you have her mobile number,home number,work number all stored under her name, when you use the sim to transfer the numbers only her mobile number will be transferd not all 3 of her numbers........So I will just sync my iphone 1 last time before I get the 3g phone then once I get home just hit sync again and they will be backed up off of outlook

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

how do you do that? :eek: :)

9. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

lol fixed that...thanks

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I am happy to be away from my girlfriend let alone have her stored in my phone... :D

11. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

finally, this should have been thought of on the first iPhone.

12. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

What purpose does this serve with an iPhone. It isn't like your hot swapping SIMs between other phones when you have an iPhone. And if you do get a new one your going to sync it with your computer to restore everything else anyway.

13. UCLAkers macrumors member

glad to hear non-AT&T devices that don't store contacts on SIM cards can still get their contacts transported! soon to be ex-verizon customer here. so the apple store CANNOT do this for you then? I wanna get it at an apple store and don't wanna have to stop by an AT&T store afterwards. but if that's what I had to do, after porting my verizon # over to AT&T, would I then be able to still transfer my contacts over afterwards?

actually, can I port over my # from verizon at an apple store or can they only do that at an AT&T store?

thanks!

14. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Either place can port the number. Make sure you have your account number with you though.

15. UCLAkers macrumors member

^ oh ok gotcha. thanks. since that's the case, it's probably safe to assume that the apple store can also transfer contacts from a non-AT&T phone/non-sim phone to the 3G iphone like the notice says the AT&T store can do? hopefully.

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

If your phone and computer have bluetooth, you should be able to BT the contacts to your computer to be sure.

17. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

You were also able to transfer contacts from a simcard to an original iPhone with a variety of third party software through Installer.app.