Transfer of account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pound4pound30, Oct 26, 2010.

1. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

How to explain this...I was initially on a plan with my girlfriend under my moms name, due to lack of credit at a young age. Although it was in her name it was our plan. Recently my mom added my sister to the plan also.

My question is now that I have better credit AT&T said I could open an account with $0 deposit. How would I get my girlfriends line and my line to their own account under my name and have my sister stay under my moms?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You call them and tell them that you want to break away from that plan and go on your own plan taking your girlfriend with you.

I was on a plan technically "under" someone due to commingling of lives and all that junk. In 2007 I simply called AT&T (it was easy) and told them I needed my own plan. They transferred my plan and that was that. It was pretty amazing what AT&T customer service could do for me when I needed help with my cell phone plan. :D

3. pound4pound30 thread starter macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

Wouldn't I be leaving 2 open lines on my current plan though that would be charged still or need to be filled?

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've recently been through a more painful version of this due to a change in my marital status...;)
    If it's a family plan, the 'owner' of the lines has to release them first. Then you can set it up with AT&T by either calling them or visiting an AT&T store. It's very simple and straightforward.
    One word of advice IF you already are on a plan with unlimited data (which is not offered anymore). Be SURE to have them keep your unlimited data package in tact.
    Also, if your new plan includes A-List numbers, be sure the A-List is activated.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Nope. So long as there are still 4 lines accounted for, doesn't matter who is under what contract. It's best to take whoever is the main account holder for the current plan and yourself (assuming the new account will be under your name) to the AT&T store. Explain the situation to them and they'll remove two lines from the account and create a brand new contract with you and your gal on one and your mom/sis on the other. I've done this already so it (in theory) is painless assuming you have an intelligent salesperson on hand :rolleyes: at the AT&T store. Shouldn't take more than half an hour or so and you'll be all set.

6. pound4pound30 thread starter macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

Well it would be just my sister left on the plan my mom has sprint. So it would be 2 transfering and one left on the att plan. But that seems simple enough.

Also when I transfer my phone and my girlfriends phone we will have to start a new contract. Because we already have phones and dont need to buy them wouldnt that make us eligble for full upgrade? (next years iPhone :D)

7. pound4pound30 thread starter macrumors 6502

pound4pound30