Transfer of texts from 1G to 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Jul 24, 2008.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've been using a jailbroken 1st gen iPhone and built up quite a few text messages I'd like to transfer over to my 3G phone...

I know everytime iTunes syncs the phone it backs all the texts up...

But how do I go about moving them onto my new phone? As well as this, the method for moving all the bookmarks, calendars, contacts would be good to know as well...

Thanks very much, any help would be much appreciated!

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Not sure about the jailbroken part, but when upgrading iPhones, you just plug in the new 3G, sync with iTunes, and it restores everything as if it were the same phone, SMS and all

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow that easy eh? How does it know the newly plugged in 3G isn't for my sister though for instance? Does it give you the option of restoring backed up texts, contacts etc? Just curious

4. stanleywinthrop macrumors member

It's quite simple, make sure the backup on Itunes is up to date and plug in your new iphone. Itunes will ask you if you want to restore your backed up data or set up a new phone. Select the restore data. All the above listed data will transfer and your new iphone will become a mirror image of your old.

5. ASN21 macrumors member

Is it really important to keep all of those dirty text messages from your girlfriend? But really why keep text messages? lmao :confused: