Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I am thinking of making the leap from my iphone 5 to the S5 and one of the things that is slightly holding me back is losing all of my old chat history on my Whatsapp. Some of the stuff I have in there i would like to keep for sentimental reasons etc and I would like to know if there is a easy way of transferring all that data plus some group chats that I am in over to the S5?

I know there is a Whatsapp migrator website but there are comments from users stating they have had problems when carrying out the process with error codes etc. Does anyone have any experiences/advice they could share?

Thanks

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Don't know if you can transfer the actual charts from ios app to Android but you do have the option to email the chat history.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
once you switch to android, you can configure whatsapp so that it will automatically save your chat history. you can restore them in a minute even when you switch from one android device to another.

i think the easiest solution for you would be emailing the history and retain it there. ios isn't like you can just find the backup chat file and restore it on android.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/android/20887921

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
There’s no easy way to transfer WhatsApp chat history to a different platform. I have no confidence in software that claims they can do so when WhatsApp itself doesn’t have any way to do that.

Personally, if you don’t want to maintain two WhatsApp accounts, bite the bullet and export individual chats one by one. Or just export some important ones and start a new on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.