Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordonringel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002
I already have the iMac up and running and would like to bring my eMac libraries over to the new iMac. Is the easiest way to this is drag and drop files on the iMac from the eMac using firewire? How do I mount the eMac as an external drive? I bought a new ibook in the the past, but never transfered my 25,000+ picture iPhoto or 3,000+ iTunes libraries to it (saved space). Also, I assume all I have to do for the copy protected aac files I have downloaded on the eMac is to add my log in to the iTunes on the iMac??? Please help.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Mount the eMac on the iMac by using Firewire ("Target Mode").

All the info you should need is on this slow loading website. Here's a copy and paste of the most relevant stuff:

To use FireWire target disk mode

1. Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook or iBook as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.
2. Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.
3. Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop. (If the target computer is running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, you can also open System Preferences, choose Startup Disk, and click Target Disk Mode. Then restart the computer and it will start up in Target Disk Mode.)
4. When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).
5. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.
6. Unplug the FireWire cable.

If the target computer's hard disk does not become available to the host computer, check the cable connections and restart the host computer.

cromeyellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
San Diego
For whatever reason, the initial setup assistant spent hours but did not bring much over other than the apps folder to my MacPro. For example my dock does not look like my old G4 doc and all my docs, pics, etc. are missing.

\So now I am using Migration Assistant to bring everything over, but the problem I am running into is that the user name already exists on the Mac Pro.

Is there a way to delete everything and start over with setup assistant, at square one as it were?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
cryellow said:
Is there a way to delete everything and start over with setup assistant, at square one as it were?

The easiest way I can think of that you can do this is to reinstall Mac OS X on your Mac Pro.

cromeyellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
San Diego
Would I do a "clean" reinstall then? Anyway I'll try it.

The problem I am also having still is the old G4 hangs at some point in the migration process and the yellow firewire symbol freezes up. So I'm going to try Disk First Aid and Disk Warrior on the old system before I do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.