Transfer old Mac files to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

In this thread, I explained my problems with the current unibody MBP I have today.

I contacted customer support and they're sending me a NEW MacBook Pro, then I can transfer all my old files to the new machine and then they're coming to pick up the old machine. (Don't you just love Apple customer support)

Now, I was wondering ...
    I got a Mac and a Windows partition. (240gb Mac, 80gb Windows)
    When I receive my new MBP and I connect both Macs with a Firewire800 cable, will the migration assistent transfer EVERYTHING over to the new Mac, including the Windows partition?

So when the setup assistent is finished, I can continue working on my new MBP as if it were my old one, without having to reinstall software, reconfigure my device etc ... right?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I just did a little searching with Google to confirm my suspicion since it has been so long since I used Migration Assistant, but it seems that it will only transfer data on the Mac OSX partition and will not touch the BootCamp partition.

You can backup your entire BootCamp partition with the free utility WinClone, so you will want to check that out too.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Oh thanks!
    Will it clone the OS then as well, or will I have to install Vista again?

And how to I restore the cloned partition to a fresh partition?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

WinClone by its very nature makes a disk image of the entire BootCamp partition, hence the idea of a "clone" or exact copy of the partition (just like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper for OSX backups). You will not have to reinstall anything (other than restoring the WinClone image) once the new BootCamp partition has been created.

You should take a look at the WinClone site, paying particular attention to the FAQ section as it gives a lot more info, and tells you what to do if you want to restore it to a larger or smaller partition than it was created from- so you have some flexibility there. It will also give you info about the restore process which is very simple! :)

Good luck with it- it should definitely save you some time.