Transfer personal data from home user to new user on same MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cryscreativity, Sep 3, 2009.

1. cryscreativity macrumors newbie

I have tried very hard to find the answer to my transferring question, but nowhere do I find my answer nor does Apple offer free help or even help by email.

So here is my issue. I want to transfer all my personal data from my HOME user account on my MacBook to a NEW user account on the SAME MacBook. The reason is that my Microsoft Office has a certain issue that is only solvable by starting up in a new user. So now I want to transfer all the personality, data, files, and all that from my home user to the new user on the same computer. After that, I want to delete the old Home user and make the new user the default home user account.

Is that possible? Can you give me advice? Or if not, do you have ANY idea where I could go for help? To receive actual help from Apple I have to pay $50 to even ask them whether or not this is possible. So thank you for anything you might be able to help me with. :confused:

2. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

do you have a USB flash/thumb drive or an external hard drive? if so, simply drag all of the folder/files you want on to the external, boot up with the new user, and transfer back. if not, drag everything you want on the new user into your current user's Public folder, then in the drop box. (found where the Documents, Music, Movies, Pictures folder are... after Pictures is Public). I havent tried this out, but I seem to remember the Public folder is desgined for just this exact situation. then when you reboot into the new user, check that user's public folder and the stuff should be there. I think... anyone else care to comment or correct me?

3. kerrygold macrumors newbie

similar question

I have a similar problem and I am scared to do anything for fear of messing everything up just when I wanted to start fresh. I transferred many files, folders, and applications from my old to my new Macbook, using Migration Assistant. The problem is that I now have two users, the old me and the new me, on my new computer, but I only want one! I also do not want to log on every time I turn on the computer. Added to that I also have a Microsoft Office issue, being told on the "new" user site that I have used up all my installations (not true), so I must always use the old user login to use Word.

How can I get back to only a single user with no password required???

Thanks!