Transfer photographs from Pc to the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macro, Jan 8, 2008.

1. macro macrumors member

I need to transfer the last 100 or more photos from my PC to the mac pro. I know I need an ethernet cable as described by someone. Is there software I need or does the Mac, inherently, take care of the transfer? What, on the Mac, do I have to do, or bring up, to do this.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd say the easiest way would be to connect the two computers to the same network (or to each other if you don't have a router) turn on file sharing on one and connect to it from the other. I've gotten either working either way, but my offhand guess is it's probably easier to turn on Sharing on the Mac (make sure you check the Windows share box) and connect to it from the Windows box.

That said, if you have a thumb drive around, using that would be way easier and less prone to network oddities. Or, assuming that the PC has a DVD-R in it, burn a CDR/DVDR (or more, if they're large pictures) and use that to transfer. You get a bonus backup copy that way.

What to do with them once you get them copied to the Mac's hard drive will depend entirely on what you want to do with them. If you want them in iPhoto, just drag them into iPhoto's window, and they should be copied to its library. If you just want them around to use with Photoshop or whatever, store them wherever you want--"standard" location is in Pictures in your home folder, if you don't have a preferred organization system.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

5. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

Thanks for the link speakerwizard, I've had a router since last September but still haven't figured out how to network my PC and Mac. I actually gave up on it. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure it out.

6. macro thread starter macrumors member

I need to sort out all your answers. I thank you for taking the time to partake in my question.

7. BrownSquirrel macrumors newbie

Trouble Shoot my issue please

I have transferred photos from my PC to Mac.

Some of my picture files run pretty deep; I have files in files inside of files.

With that being said, I transferred pictures from PC and put them in the picture file on the Mac. NO Problem

However
    When I try to put them in iPhoto I run into a problem.

iPhoto wants to take my organization and open the files in the files and bring them into one huge file in iPhoto. does that make sense?

(iPhoto does not keep my folders seperated)

Any idea what is going wrong? I should be able to grab a file full of photos from picture on the Mac and put them in iPhoto the same way. Right?

Stumped. :confused:

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

To keep your organization, you will need to import folder by folder. Sorry, but if you don't, you will get the behavior you experienced -- one big file. Time consuming, yes, but not if you consider having to re-organize again.

9. BrownSquirrel macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I will be posting results when I get home and let you know how it al turned out.
    Thanks

10. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat