Transfer save game files from iPhone to iPad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shotts56, Aug 5, 2010.

1. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Feeling pretty smug with myself as I've figured out how to transfer a saved game file from my iPhone to my iPad. Why would I do such a thing ? Because sometime I want to play Football Manager on my iPhone (when I'm travelling), and sometimes I'll want to play it on my iPad (when I'm at home). Previously they were always different saved games, but now I've figured out how to transfer the save between devices.

I used AppBackUp and iFile. I used AppBackUp on my iPhone to create a file from my app's saved game, and I then used iFile to bluetooth it from my iPhone to my iPad. I then moved the new file on the iPad from the Documents folder (where it downloads it to) over to AppBackUp's folder using iFile, and then clicked on restore. Success ! Takes about 60 seconds all in.

I'm so happy - I can now play the same Football Manager game on both devices ! Just wanted to share that with the world !

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Seems a bit impractical lol. I don't think you can do it normally just for the record, but i think you can do it if you restore the iPad to a backup of your iPhone. Not very practical though, would be a good idea if apple offered a better solution.

3. shotts56 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that Apple should offer a solution to transfer saved games between devices.

They don't just now, but in the interim this AppBackup/iFile solution works fine as I was playing FM on my iPad last night, transferred it and continued playing on my iPhone this morning on my way to work.

Granted, it is a little messy though - I tried to explain it to my wife and she just glazed over (more than she usually does).

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I've run into this problem before. I devised a solution but it was a bit too much work at the time and I eventually didn't need it anymore. If you're inclined my idea was to create symlinks in the dropbox app documents folder to the game save file on both devices. This is a bit tricky, and I'm not sure if its actually possible but I can't see why it wouldn't work in theory