Transfer settings etc from a desktop to laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Freida, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

can someone please help me what is the best way to transfer settings like email, dock (icons etc), desktop (wallpapers), expose (corners etc) etc etc etc from one computer to another?

I did do migration assistant but because the drive is 2TB and the laptop is only 500GB then I couldn't do everything. So now, I have applications transferred but all my icons from the dock (for example) are missing so what folder from the old computer do I need to transfer on the new one to have all the settings exactly the same?

I would prefer to do something all in one rather then going through everything one by one if you know what I mean :)))

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

If the users are named the same copying /Users/YOU/Library/ would be the best option.

3. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm trying to copy it but not everything is copied. It tells me that I do not have permission even thought the user is exactly the same as on my desktop. I also verify it by admin pass which is same as on the desktop yet it still doesn't let me copy it.
    And its even for things like .xpm (custom icon picture in an app) which is strange.
    Any way to fix that?

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

In terminal use sudo ditto -rsrc /Volumes/OLDDISK/Users/YOU/Library /Volumes/NEWDISK/Users/YOU/Library

Also make sure to repair permissions prior and post and if that's not enough try http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/

5. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Brilliant, thank you so much. that little app really helped ;)